11 July 2026
Travelling today, I had an extra hour to spare at my home-from-home, St Pancras station. To escape the frenetic mêlée of tourists in the concourse (more unbearable because of the ongoing heatwave), I took the lift to the upper level, where all was peaceful.
I took a moment to appreciate Betjeman, dedicated campaigner for St Pancras.
It may be my favourite statue in London - briefcase in hand, coat tails flying, waistcoat bulging with his girth, and holding onto his hat as he gazes upward appreciatively at the great domed roof of the building that he saved from demolition.
He didn't live to see its fantastic renovation, and likely could never have imagined the Eurostar project that would connect Britain with the rest of Europe.
Photographing from the different angle below, I could imagine him touching his hat in wonder and amazement at the line-up of shiny Eurostar trains in front of him -
I also love that the curve of his coat tail echoes the great glass roof -
Less unique is the kissing statue that people either love or hate. (Antony Gormley called it "a very good example of the crap out there" - vicious, but makes me laugh). It is cheesy, sentimental and really a bit kitsch, but I'm still quite fond of it, including its huge scale. For all the years that I lived in London, it's been the familiar landmark, the welcoming sign of return to home.
As my packed Eurostar was pulling out of the station, I watched this stream of passengers being disgorged from another that had just arrived, the masses that peak in July -
Approaching Gent on the next leg (my third train of the day) I took this picture as we crossed the Scheld, liking the reflection of my hands and phone in the window and the hot flashing glare of the sun in the sky -
A surprise awaited - after a cool and welcome swim, there was a feast of oysters, lobster and champagne -
One couldn't have asked for more, really.







.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment