8 August 2026
Snapshots from today:
One, a strange shot of the upper level of St Pancras station, from my seat in the Eurostar after boarding and pre-departure. Strange because of the unexpected emptiness (just one lone person - who? why? - is sitting in the middle of a deserted platform).
A startling moment of stillness and absence in the middle of one of the busiest, most frenetic times of the year for travel.
Two, on the platform at Brussels-Midi station, my suitcase. Recurrent motif of my dreams.
In my dreams I carry large, heavy, stuffed suitcases and bags on trains and planes. I pack and unpack them relentlessly, fretting over their contents. I lose or misplace them at airports and on trains, and search frantically to find them. I struggle under their weight, doomed to travel endlessly, always arduous journeys filled with obstacles.
Talk about explicit metaphors; my dreams are child's play for an analyst.
Three, the good steak that awaited me at the end of this particular (not so arduous) journey -
with a bottle of good champagne -
Four, these big skies that I love, as we ate outside -
And five, one of the airborne plant seeds with wisps for sails that float gracefully around the garden at this time of year -



.jpg)



Comments
Post a Comment